Looking good and feeling great for men to go beyond shampoo and deodorant. The $57 million markets for men’s grooming products is expected to grow exponentially through 2023, researchers say.
“Attitudes towards traditional masculinity have changed and men are now also diversifying into skincare products, such as moisturizers, scrubs, anti-aging creams, whitening creams, etc. to improve their physical appearance. This represents a significant shift from the times when male consumers followed a minimal grooming routine and would often use female beauty products as there were limited substitutes for them,” reads the ResearchandMarkets.com press release announcing the industry surge.
Yes, the choices can be dizzying. But here’s a primer on what you need and where to find it. Pro tip: You can get all the products we recommend at Sephora.
Hair & Beard
Heather Manto, co-owner and barber at the Rosewood Barbershop in Austin, Texas, says men need to pay attention to their hair’s texture and feel and buy products accordingly, as fine hair can be weighed down by ingredients that are too heavy and meant for thick or coarse locks.
“The hair and beard shouldn’t be washed every day; you don’t want to strip the natural oils,” she says. Instead, Manto recommends washing every other day for men who use a lot of product and every third day for those who don’t.
Beards that are thick, curly and coarse should be conditioned a few times a week, and beard balm should be applied to moisten the beard hair and skin underneath, says Manto.
In order to prevent ingrown hairs, Manto says, you shouldn’t shave every day. You should also prep the skin by using a hot towel or steam to soften the skin and hairs first.
For shorter hair, Manto says a barber visit once a month is key. If a longer ‘do is the look you are going for, visit a stylist a few times a year to keep up with split ends.
● Klorane Shampoo with vitamin B for thinning hair; it’s gentle on the locks and has keratin to boost thickness and strength.
● Verb Foaming Fiber, which is great for looser styles that need hold and movement. No residue will be left behind, and it can be used on fine hair as well as thick.
● Lab Series 3-in-1 Shave and Beard Oil that lets you shave then moisturize with one product. This lightweight oil is great for combination, oily or dry skin and is also great for the scalp.
Men want to look youthful just as much as women do, and the basics around a good skincare routine are the same. The key is to identify your skin type and buy products accordingly. A daily face wash with warm water followed by a moisturizer and sunscreen is the best way to prevent signs of aging and keep the skin healthy.
● Exfoliating products from ZO Skin Health (available at OrangeTwist locations) are medical grade and can provide better results than anything you can find at the drug store. Try the Exfoliating Cleanser, which leverages the sloughing properties of jojoba esters plus the antioxidants of vitamin E; Complexion Renewal Pads, an easy way to sweep away dead skin, reduce oiliness, and soothe irritated skin through botanical extracts and glycolic acid; and Exfoliating Polish, which uses tiny magnesium crystals to help eliminate dead skin and keep pores clog-free.
● Kiehl’s Facial Fuel Energizing Face Wash and Moisturizer: Cleansing the skin is essential for a healthy glow. Kiehl’s face wash can be used twice a day and is great for dry to normal skin; use a moisturizer after and at night.
● Lab Series for Men Future Rescue Repair Serum for turning over dead skin cells more quickly and protecting against environmental toxins.
● Peter Thomas Roth Max Complexion Correction Pads: doused with salicylic acid, these pads can just be swiped over your skin for cleaning, combating blackheads and oil and reducing the appearance of fine lines.
Fingernails and toenails should be trim and cut straight across and never used to pry anything open, and shoes should fit properly.
For fragrance, a little goes a long way! You don’t want to be “that guy” in the elevator, so keep in mind that less is more.
● The Art of Shaving 7-Piece Set for tools needed to keep fingernails and toenails looking their best.
● Jack Black Industrial Strength Hand Healer with eucalyptus and vitamins A and E to soothe chapped, hard-working hands and smooth calluses; it is free of unnecessary alcohol, colorants, and fragrances. You can also use it on knees and elbows.
● Jo Malone London Wood Sage & Sea Salt Cologne, for the elusive fresh scent of an Irish seaside vacation without leaving home.
Want some help? We’re here for you—ask for the OrangeTwist “Man Cave” when you make an appointment for a treatment such as a HydraFacial, filler, CoolSculpting or gentle skin resurfacing. We also have the full spectrum of skin products from Alastin and ZO Skin Health to meet your skin’s every need.